Johnston Scotia


Landlords advice and information

Gas Installation Safety


If the property you let is connected to a mains gas supply, you must arrange for an annual maintenance check of gas pipe work, appliances and flues. This should be carried out by an engineer registered with the Gas Safe Register (formerly Corgi).


You should keep inspection records for at least two years and give copies of the reports to your existing tenants within 28 days of each check. You should also give copies to new tenants before they move in.


Your tenants are responsible for any gas appliances they own, but you must still maintain the parts of any associated gas installations - like flues and ventilation grilles - and pipe work.


Information and advice for landlords and tenants is available from the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) and The Gas Safe Register


We also have copies of useful information to download from here - just click on the links below.

HSE Advice for Landlords Gas Safe Advice for Landlords

Landlords advice about Flues in Voids

Gas Installation Safety


Landlords were given until December 2012 to fit flue joint inspection hatches for flues of all gas appliances in rental properties.


Carbon monoxide alarms are not an alternative to being able to see the flue and you will still need to have inspection hatches fitted.


From 1 January 2013, Gas Safe registered engineers will, with your permission, turn the boiler off and, formally advise you not to use it until, inspection hatches have been fitted in appropriate places.

Flues in Voids information Flues in Voids and the law Flues in Voids - FAQ

More Information . . .

CLICK HERE FOR  ::  Carbon Monoxide Detector

H450en CO Detector - Helps protect your tenants

Accommodation HSE
Annual Boiler Service Gas Safety Regulations Gas Safety Certificate - CP12